Andrew Atkinson presenting at PgDay Chicago 2023. Photo by Hettie D.
I’m Andrew, and I’d love to help you with your PostgreSQL 🐘 databases and Ruby on Rails 💎 web applications.
Why work with me?
I’ve optimized multi-terabyte PostgreSQL databases running thousands of queries per second. I understand the kinds of challenges faced at that scale.
I love working with teams and providing educational material. I wrote a bestselling book High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails, published by Pragmatic Programmers in 2024, to help more engineers acquire these skills.
What will we work on?
📊 We can improve query performance, helping avoid unnecessary spending on larger instances
💾 Let’s optimize the schema design, queries, and indexes, for greater reliability and performance
🐘 I’ll perform data migrations for primary key conversions or partitioned table migrations, based on a plan we’ll review together in advance
👨 As a conference presenter and educator, I’m ready to train your team on PostgreSQL and Active Record topics. We can use existing materials or create a custom plan.
Andrew helped us tune PostgreSQL parameters, build our multi-database integration, and optimize queries. - Brendan, VP of Engineering
Andrew provided our team with training on query plans and indexes, then rewrote an important query, greatly improving the performance. - John, Director of Engineering
Schedule a 30-minute meeting using the calendar below, or contact me for questions or to arrange a different time.
I’m looking forward to working with you!
What are off-the-shelf trainings?
Currently I’ve got Indexing Like a Pro Part I and Part II, ready to deliver as a live session with slides and live coding for your team. Each part is one hour, plus an optional Q&A.
How do I charge?
I offer a flexible structure based on competitive rates.
Tools and systems we'll use
- I’ll need access to your databases or database observability tools (PgHero, PgAnalyze, Performance Insights, etc.). For databases, we can use a non-production instance or a read-replica, depending on your goals.
- For code contributions, I’ll need access to your repositories, CI/CD system, and application observability tools (APM, exception tracking)
How I Work
- I’ll provide a Independent Consulting Agreement
- We can use Google Hangouts, Zoom, Tuple, or similar programs for synchronous calls
- We can use Slack, email, and Google Docs for async work and statuses
- I’ll track detailed time and provide regular invoices
- More than 12 years experience with Ruby on Rails, most recently as a Staff Engineer (LinkedIn profile), at companies including Microsoft, Groupon, and various startups.
- Author of the bestselling book 📚 High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails, published by Pragmatic Programmers in 2024.
- Presenter at PostgreSQL and Ruby on Rails conferences including PGConf NYC, PGDay Chicago, and RailsConf 2022.
- I’ve performed zero downtime online migrations in multi-terabyte PostgreSQL databases, managing a dozen instances, with billions of rows.
- I’ve worked on a Rails app serving 7500 requests/second (450K RPM) at an average response time of 35ms. I’ve spoken about this experience and presented on it at PGConf NYC 2021.