Hello. I recently tweeted asking the following question.
Hey Rails + #PostgreSQL devs, what’s one #PostgreSQL thing you wish you knew more about, that’s not covered deeply (or at all) in the Rails Guides? Thanks!
This tweet was more popular than I expected and got a lot of interesting replies. I appreciated the responses! I’ve summarized them below.
Summarized Topics and Tweets
- DB types, network types,
cidr, time based, interval,
- JSON querying, JSON operators @BijanRahnema, @nstajio @42s_video
- The “right” indexes, indexing topics @dorianmariefr, @godfoca
- Views and materialized views @everybody_kurts, @dmissikowski
- Query planning, EXPLAIN @rubemazenha
- Full text search @tiegz
- Concurrency, auto-vacuum setups @godfoca, @honzasterba
- Tuning statistics collector for large tables @katafrakt_pl
- DB triggers management @adrienpoly
- hyperloglog type @jonathandenney
- Query performance for array column @dangoslen
- Denormalization @TomaszM89477675
- Partitioning @cm_richards
- Migrating a few big tables to their own database (functional sharding, or application level sharding), minimizing downtime @jessethanley
- CTEs within Active Record, Modern SQL @S_2K
- dexter (automatic indexing) and HypoPG. Dexter can automatically generate indexes from a connection @brightball
- Integrating PostgreSQL features not supported in Active Record @alexanderadam__
- Connection pooling @fredngo