This year I participated in the F1 Web Challenge. The event brings together teams of programmers, designers, and project managers with non-profit organizations. The goal is to build a professional website for the non-profit in less than 24 hours, and teams compete against each other for the overall best website.
The non-profit we were assigned was “Resource Center of the Americas.”
- Built new site with Radiant CMS
- Built a basic Paypal integration for e-commerce using Website Payments Standard
- Managed Radiant plugins as git submodules
- GitHub sponsored our team and wrote a blog post about it! We used GitHub throughout the competition
- Deployment was managed with capistrano (thanks @tomtoday)
- 1 year of Slicehost VPS hosting (and t-shirts!) was paid for by a Tightrope Media Systems sponsorship
- Built a team twitter and flickr aggregator site with Sinatra
This was an excellent experience personally speaking, and I think most of my teammates felt the same way. It was satisfying to be able to contribute something meaningful to a good organization. I also really enjoyed meeting the other participants and spending time with my team members.