Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
This book by Author Frederick Joseph is a strong recommendation for anyone, but especially as a white person in the U.S. to better understand privilege, build empathy for the experiences of others, and even how to use privilege to override biases/dysfunction (the mall story).
- TEDx Dr. Beverly Tatum Is My Skin Brown Because I Drank Chocolate Milk?
To help create access opportunities for more folks that do not identify as white males, I’ve participated in various events as an educator, mentor, or volunteer.
- Code In Place 2021
- Rails Girls in Baltimore, MD March 2013
- Rails Bridge in Boston, MA January 2015
- Overnight Website Challenge: Volunteer programmer for non-profit org hackathon event
- Actively mentor at work, set time aside to help grow earlier career programmers